Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Freezer Cooking Day!

I finally did it. Crystal and Laura do it all the time. It seemed like such a good idea, but I had a hard time getting motivation and time to coordinate with each other. Finally, I managed to devote a day to stocking my freezer with meals. Hopefully, it will make breakfast and dinner easier on those busy days. Here's what I made yesterday:

  • 2 batches of homemade baking mix (Bisquick)
  • 1 loaf of whole wheat bread
  • 1 loaf whole wheat bread dough
  • 2 batches of pizza dough
  • 2 batches of waffles
  • 2 batches of pancakes
  • 2 strombolis (froze 1, ate 1 for dinner)
  • 2 lbs cooked shredded chicken
  • 3 spaghetti pies (froze 2, saved 1 for dinner tonight)
  • 1 batch homemade chicken nuggets
  • dried kidney beans (soaked & recipe-ready, frozen)
  • dried great northern beans (soaked & recipe-ready, frozen)
The kids were so good all day. I didn't even have to threaten them!:) Tootsie popped in and out of the kitchen to help me, and the boys kept saying how yummy it smelled in the house. I started at 8:30 a.m. and when I was done, I literally had to run out the door for VBS. I got home at 9:30 p.m. I was beat. But it was so nice for the kids to be able to have pancakes and waffles this morning...even BEFORE I had the necessary caffeine in my system.

Do you ever have freezer cooking/baking days?




7 comments:

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

No, I don't. But what a great idea! It would make life so much easier~good for you!

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I wish I did a freezer day!! I only do one thing & that is a big ole batch of homemade mac n cheese & freeze it in meal size containers for my child care & serve one that day.

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

OOOH! You were busy! I may have to use your idea - it sounds like it saves so much time to do it all in one day. Great idea, Marie! :)

PERMANENT POSIES said...

You are awesome! What a day of preparation! Great ideas but I agree with Anti-Procrastination ...where I read about you....We want the spaghetti pie recipe!

Mng3jf7 said...

I love that you shared what you do on your freezer day! I'm always wondering if I'm just crazy or if its actually practical. And so far it has served us very well. :) I normally do a freezer day once a month-ish. I also do lil extra's i catch on sale or in season, to plan for later. I really like your list though, i think i;ll have to do some pancakes now :) Thank you for sharing :)

Amy said...

I have a proposition for you...I featured you at "AP Tuesdays" if you go look you will see what I mean:P

Marie @ Chocolate-Covered Chaos said...

Michelle~ I'd love to hear what you make on your freezer cooking day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails